This is my list of financial goals. This list will grow!
GOALS FOR 2016
Have $150,ooo in my self directed investment account*Complete May 20* Have $125,000 in my company pension.*Complete July 22* Get pre-approved for a rental property*Comlete Aug 1st*
- Buy a rental property and slum lord it up *NOPE*
Save money for trip to Cuba*Complete June 15* Earn $6,000 yearly in dividend income*Complete Dec 30* Have over $30,000 in cash for market crash*Complete June 28* Open a margin account for market crash (only to be used if Dow drops +40%)*Complete May 3* Save over 60% of net income*Complete Dec 31* 62%
I had a very successful year in the market (like everyone else) and finished 7 out of my 8 goals I set for myself.
The single goal I never finished was to buy a rental property. There are several reasons for this but the main one is the house prices here in Vancouver have started to show signs of weakness (YAY!). I don’t want to buy at the top and there is no stop loss on houses.
Some of the goals need to be adjusted moving forward. For instance, my LIRA account was over $40,000 higher than I assumed as I tallied the contributions with 0% growth. It is currently at $171,000 so I need to revise that on my 2017 list.
Below is a list of goals for 2017 that I made in Jan 2016. I have already passed several of these and need to revise up.
OLD GOALS FOR 2017
Have $175,ooo in my self directed investment account*Complete Oct 2016 Updated Below* Have $135,000 in my pension*Complete Updated Below*
- Save money for trip to Hawaii with kids
- Earn $8,000 yearly in dividend income
Have over $40,000 in cash for market crash*Complete Nov Updated Below* Increase my margin account to be ready for a market crash.
NEW GOALS FOR 2017
Have $225,000 in personal investment account*Complete Feb 2017* Have $175,000 in pension fund*Complete Feb 2017*
- Save $50,000 in Cash or HISA or GIC for crash
- Increase my margin account to over $50,000
- Don’t have a dividend cut
- Dividend increases by 50% of my companies
- Earn $8,000 in total dividends by the end of 2017
- Increase my dividend payout an average of $170 per month ($2,000/12).
- Have one month that breaks the $1,000 mark
- Have my investments beat the market by over 0.01%
- Save over 70% of net income
GOALS BY 2019
- Own 2 rental properties and slum lord it up
- Have $200,ooo in my self directed investment account
- Save $150,000 in pension fund
- Have $60,000 in cash for a market crash
- Earn $10,000 yearly in dividend income
GOALS BY 2029
- Have 1 Million in self directed investment account
- Have several rental properties with at least one paid off in full
- Only work if I want to work, not because I need to
GOALS BY 2043 -Official Retirement!
- Have a billion, trillion dollars (or something like that)
- Give it all away
- Pay off house
Have $0 debt Have $100,000 in self directed investment account Have $150,000 in self directed investment account Have $200,000 in self directed investment account